The Senate is expected to send S. 54 to the desk of Gov. Phil Scott next week — please call him today and encourage him to sign it!
The bill to legalize, regulate, and tax adult-use cannabis sales cleared yet another hurdle today when the House approved it in a final vote of 92-56. The Senate is expected to pass S. 54 next week, after which it will proceed to the desk of Gov. Phil Scott.
Please take a moment to call Gov. Phil Scott at 802-828-3333 and encourage him to sign it when it reaches his desk.
Here are some key features of the bill:
- Priority licensing for small-scale cultivators (up to 1,000 square feet)
- Priority licensing for women- and minority-owned businesses
- Independent lab testing of all cannabis sold to patients and adult consumers
- Creating a new independent commission to regulate medical and adult-use cannabis
- Requiring a search warrant prior to saliva testing, which could not be conducted roadside
This has been a challenging process for both legislators and advocates, but the bill is now only a couple of steps away from becoming law. It would be a terrible shame to see it fall short of the finish line. Let the governor know it makes no sense to keep sales illicit and unregulated. Consumers deserve safe access to a tested product, and Vermont needs the jobs and tax revenue S. 54 would bring.
Again, please call Gov. Scott’s office and encourage him to sign S. 54. After you do so, please share this message with your family and friends!