Urge your senator to support HB 629!
Cannabis legalization is being considered in the Senate this week! Earlier this year, the House passed HB 629 — legislation to legalize possession and limited home cultivation of cannabis for adults 21 and older.
Now, the Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a public hearing on HB 629 this Thursday (April 7) beginning at 9 a.m. You can indicate your support for this important legislation and testify in support on Thursday.
If you’re able to visit the State House in person, the hearing will take place in Room 100. There will be a sign-in sheet where you can indicate your position on the bill and (optionally) sign up to testify.
If you’re signing in remotely, here are the steps:
- Visit this page and select Thursday, April 7 on the calendar.
- For “Select the Committee,” choose “Senate Judiciary” from the drop-down box.
- Under “Choose the Bill,” select “9:00 am - HB 629.”
- For “I am,” select “a member of the public” representing “myself.”
- Click the bubble to indicate your position on the bill and submit the form.
- Enter your name, email, and town on the next page and click “continue” to complete the process.
Please email your senator in support of HB 629 ahead of Thursdays hearing! You can check out our summary of the bill here.
In other news, a separate poison pill legalization bill, HB 1598, passed the House last week by a margin of 169-155. It has not yet been scheduled for a hearing in the Senate. The bill would only allow state-run stores to distribute cannabis, which is preempted by federal law. If you agree that HB 1598 is the wrong way to legalize, you can send your senator a message here.
Thanks for your commitment to sensible cannabis policy! After you email your senator today, please forward this message to your networks and encourage them to do the same.