Things are heating up around cannabis legalization in the Ocean State!
This Thursday at 4 p.m., the House Finance Committee in the Rhode Island General Assembly will hold a public hearing on several cannabis bills, including Article 11 of Gov. McKee’s budget proposal, which outlines a plan to legalize, regulate, and tax cannabis for adults.
And tonight at 6 p.m. ET, a statewide coalition of organizations, grassroots advocates, and Rhode Islanders who have been adversely affected by cannabis criminalization will hold a community webinar to discuss legalization and social equity. Tune in here at 6 p.m. tonight to watch the event through Facebook Live!
There’s support for legalization among top leaders in the state, but there’s no guarantee that lawmakers will take action this year. They need to hear from you.
Testify at Thursday’s hearing
- The deadline to sign up for verbal testimony is 4 p.m. this Wednesday. If you sign up, you will receive a phone call from the committee clerk during the hearing (likely sometime between 4:30 and 6:30 p.m.). Prepare your comments in advance and know that you may be limited to three minutes of speaking time. Click here to put your name on the list to testify.
- You may submit written testimony by emailing HouseFinance@rilegislature.gov
- Click here for more information about the hearing.
Contact the state representative and senator who represent your district
- Don’t know who your state legislators are? Enter your address to look them up here.
- You can also contact them through MPP’s online action tool, which provides a prewritten email template and call script that you can personalize!
It’s crucial that supporters of legalization and cannabis equity take action now. Please forward this email and encourage others to make their voices heard, too!