“When I ran for this office, I pledged to make government more open and accountable to its citizens. That’s what the new We the People feature on WhiteHouse.gov is all about – giving Americans a direct line to the White House on the issues and concerns that matter most to them.” – President Barack Obama
The White House recently announced We the People, where individuals can create and sign petitions seeking action from the federal government. If a petition gathers 5,000 signatures, White House staff will review it, send it to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response. Once you have registered on the White House We the People page, you can vote for as many petitions as you’d like.
Here are 12 marijuana policy related petitions currently on the White House We the People petition page:
- Give States the Freedom to Establish Their Own Marijuana Laws.
- Stop denying the medical value of cannabis (marijuana.) Remove it from schedule one of the controlled substances act.
- Release all known beneficial information regarding cannabis (hemp, marijuana) and its derivatives.
- End the destructive, wasteful and counterproductive “War on Drugs”.
- Remove Marijuana from the Schedule 1 list of drugs in the Controlled Substances Act.
- Allow United States Disabled Military Veterans access to medical marijuana to treat their PTSD.
- Eliminate or Reform Departments whose Officers are Required by Law to Lie to the American People.
- Pardon Marc Emery.
- Allow Industrial Hemp to be Grown in the U.S. Once Again.
- Stop Interfering With State Marijuana Legalization Efforts.
- Legalize, regulate, and tax marijuana.
- Legalize and Regulate Marijuana in a Manner Similar to Alcohol.
The White House plans to respond to each petition that crosses the 5,000 signature threshold. Please share this list of petitions with everyone you know, especially on Twitter and Facebook. Also, we know we missed a few petitions, so please add them in the comments below.
To donate, please visit http://www.mpp.org/donate